Livesmart Blog by Trainsmart Wellness| Acai Breakfast Bowl
Breakfast is often referred to as the most important meal of the day, and the reason for this is right in the name. Breakfast is meant to break your “fast”. This is when your body is the most efficient and ready to accept calories and nutrients so that you will have energy for the rest of day. A good balanced breakfast is one that has a mix of healthy carbs, fats and protein. Breakfast is also a good time to eat lot’s of fibre as it will help to keep you feeling fuller for longer. If you’re someone that struggles to eat in the morning it’s best to keep breakfast simple, you can even pre-make your breakfast the night before if you know that you are gonna be pressed on time. If you have a bit of time in the morning give this acai breakfast bowl a try, it only takes 15 mins to make and it sure makes for a pretty picture 🙂
Besides the fact that they’re absolutely delicious, they’re also pretty darn good for you. Now you may ask how can something that’s super healthy taste good? Well, Acai berries (pronounced ah-sai-ee) are the fruits of acai palm trees (ouuu), which are mostly grown in Brazil’s Amazon rain forest. These small, dark-purple berries pack a nutrient punch with a whole host of antioxidants, amino acids and essential fatty acids. Acai literally does wonders to the body from the inside out, with health benefits such as increased energy levels, a boosted immune system, improved metabolic function, better skin and hair *cue hair flip*. One of the most popular ways to eat these berries are in a smoothie bowl, where puréed acai berries are smothered with a variety of toppings, such as sliced bananas, strawberries and granola.
Acai Breakfast Bowl Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Nutrients per serving (1 bowl): Calories: 327, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Carbs: 63 g, Fiber: 11 g, Sugars: 37 g, Protein: 4 g, Sodium: 106 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg
- 1 100-g (3.5-oz) pack frozen unsweetened acai berry pulp (TRY: SAMBAZON Unsweetened Acai Smoothie Pack; before opening your acai pack, run package under water for 5 seconds to thaw and break the frozen pulp into smaller pieces.)
- 1 ripe banana (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup of frozen strawberries or blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of organic honey
- ½ cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup of ice
- ¼ blueberries
- ½ small banana, sliced
- ½ cup of strawberries
- ½ cup of kiwi or pineapple
- Drizzle of coconut shreds
You can top your puree with any toppings that you have on hand, get creative and change it up! You can even take this opportunity to add some protein with nut butters, or you can add some more health benefits by throwing some chia and hemp seeds on top.
- Prepare acai purée: In a blender, add banana, acai pulp, strawberries, blueberries or strawberries, and almond milk. Blend on low until larger chunks are broken down, then gradually increase speed. Making sure all the ingredients are blended well. You don’t want it too thick (add more milk or water) nor too runny (add ice cubes).
- Add toppings: Pour acai purée into a bowl and arrange the granola and fruit toppings in stripes (be creative and have fun with it!). Afterwards, sprinkle coconut, dark chocolate shreds, organic peanut butter or any other toppings you think would taste great.
If you give this recipe a try we’d love to see how it turned out! Tag @trainsmartwellness in your photos and let us know what your favourite toppings are!